MILWAUKEE, MARCH, 6—After a five-year hiatus from the lineup, Harley-Davidson has announced that the popular Dyna Low Rider, which debuted in 1977, will make its return as a mid-year 2014 model.
Informed by the same accelerated, customer-led product development process that propelled Project RUSHMORE, the new Low Rider is designed to fit a broad range of riders in a confident, comfortable riding position straight from the factory. Harley-Davidson leveraged the science of ergonomics to develop a “perfect fit” rider position utilizing three key features: a two-position seat; an adjustable handlebar riser, which can each be easily adjusted by the dealer using simple hand tools; and footpegs that are relocated two inches forward. The Low Rider still lives up to its name; seat height is just 25.4 inches.
“We wanted the new Low Rider to offer an expanded comfort envelope, and worked in three stages toward that goal,” said Paul Weiss, lead engineer on the Low Rider project. “We started with live feedback from riders of all sizes, and then employed Pro/Engineer computer simulations of posture and riding positions to project the best locations for rider controls.”
“We next had to design solutions we could put into production,” said Weiss. “Inspired by the idea that you’d adjust a car seat to meet the controls, we devised the two-position Low Rider seat that can move the rider forward or backward 1.5 inches. By next adding handlebar adjustability, we were able to accommodate the riders in our defined comfort envelope. The final change was relocating the footpegs two inches forward of the previous Dyna mid-mount position.”
Computer-generated rider triangles representing the extremes of the biometric targets – 5’ 1” to 6’ 1” in height – were overlaid on the Dyna chassis. These triangles depicted not just the reach of the respective riders, but also the more critical comfort zones within the range of reach.
Harley-Davidson Engineering and Styling departments collaborated on the design of a seat with a removable bolster, secured by two concealed screws, to provide the desired range of seating position. A new headlamp visor bolts to the upper triple clamp and provides the fixture to support the adjustable handlebar riser, secured by four easy-access hex-head bolts.
Key Low Rider Features
- Rubber-mounted Twin Cam 103™ engine is rated at 99 ft. lbs. of torque at 3500 rpm. The engine is equipped with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI) and Automatic Compression Release (ACR), and is mated to a 6-speed Cruise Drive® transmission. The powertrain is finished in wrinkle black powder coat with chrome-plated covers.
- Unique handlebar riser offers 2.4 inches of adjustment and seamless integration.
- Two-position ergonomic seat is tuned to fit a broad range of riders with a removable bolster that moves the rider 1.5 inches forward; laden seat height is 25.4 inches. High-performance perforated seat cover features a classic stitching pattern.
- Mid-mount foot controls are positioned to best fit most riders with an in-command riding position.
- Split five-spoke cast aluminum wheels feature a classic, muscular look. The wheels are finished in wrinkle black with diamond cut highlights
- Chrome 2-into-1 exhaust emits a throaty sound and pays homage to the original Low Rider.
- Wrinkle black console holds an analog speedometer and analog tachometer. Indicator lights are integrated into the tachometer.
- Chrome-plated rear fender strut covers feature wrinkle black cutouts.
- Chrome-plated battery box insert with wrinkle black highlights.
- Classic headlamp visor
- Polished front end.
- Dual disc front brakes.
- Suspension features 49mm front forks and coil-over rear shocks, both with tri-rate springs; each tuned to deliver all-day comfort and excellent performance.
- Michelin® Scorcher™ tires.
- Custom ignition switch located on the left side of the motorcycle.
- H-D® Smart Security System with hands-free, proximity-based security fob as a factory-installed option.
- Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) is a factory-installed option, standard in select markets.
- Chrome steel-laced wheels an available option in select markets
- Color choices include: Vivid Black, two-tone Brilliant Silver/Vivid Black and two-tone Amber Whiskey/Vivid Black.